Job title : Medical Science Liaison (1)
Division/business unit : Medical Affairs
Diabetes Cardiovascular Medical
Location : South Florida
This is a remote-based position. The territory for this role includes Orlando south to Miami excluding Tampa, The successful candidate must be based in the territory, or willing to relocate there at own cost.
Summary of purpose/major responsibilities:
The Mission of Sanofi's MSL Team and the Medical Science Liaison is to be the trusted scientific partners in the field for external experts and decision-makers engaging in mutual scientific exchanges to accelerate data dissemination. Sanofi's Medical Field base teams enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of our products in the therapeutic area and gather new insights by b ringing cutting edge scientific exchange today that accelerates medical innovation tomorrow.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-facing role whose main objectives are to:
· Be the trusted scientific partner to key external experts by conducting timely, appropriate and frequent scientific exchanges to enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of our products.
· Execute on stakeholder engagement plans to gather data, develop and share medical insights that contribute to the enhancement of Sanofi's key medical messages, plans, and future research.
· Keep abreast of medical and scientific developments in the therapeutic field to help identify and critically assess research opportunities and to play a supportive role in the execution of evidence generation plans to enhance the value of our products in a real-world setting.
· Recognize, record and share insights that deepen our understanding of the needs of patients, consumers, regulators, payers, and healthcare providers and proactively contribute towards identifying unmet needs.
· Maintain effective and appropriate communication among internal stakeholders (Medical Affairs colleagues, Medical Information and Commercial Operations) while maintaining full compliance with relevant company, industry, legal and regulatory requirements.
· Demonstrate operational understanding and risk management by ensuring excellence in the execution of all governance processes.
Engages external stakeholders on medical and scientific information exchange for the therapeutic area during one-on-one interactions and group settings, exhibiting excellent scientific and clinical knowledge.
· Uses strong knowledge of relevant diseases and disease management protocols, healthcare environment and competitors to articulate the medical and scientific value of our products with external experts.
· Establishes robust, long-term peer relationships with Key Opinion Leaders and other stakeholder partners.
· Actively engages with appropriate stakeholders on medical, clinical, epidemiologic, and scientific topics to advance their understanding of the disease by sharing information and answering questions based on approved material within Regulatory guidelines.
· Engages with appropriate stakeholders to understand the state of healthcare policies and guidelines as they relate to clinical practices at a local, state, regional, federal, or national level.
· Uses defined systems to maps, identify, profile, and prioritizes stakeholders in line with the therapeutic area medical plan and looks for opportunities to collaborate and build a value-based partnership addressing the HCPs therapeutic goals.
· Effectively utilizes the Scientific Engagement Model to plan territory and individual stakeholders (Key Opinion Leaders, payers, HCP, etc.) medical strategy and engagement interaction plans consistent with the Field Base Medical Activity Plan and medical function priorities.
· Effectively utilizes the Scientific Engagement Model for attending and establishing a Sanofi Medical presence at relevant scientific congresses, symposia as directed.
· Organizes educational meetings or local scientific advisory boards when requested.
· Support speakers' training to ensure continued scientific support in the field.
· Responds to unsolicited requests for medical information associated with supported products and disease state areas.
Gathers data and generates insights from stakeholder interactions and provides feedback to the organization.
· Recognize and collect feedback/reactions from multiple data sources and various stakeholders.
· Record/report insights and information appropriately, using available mechanisms and tools.
· Critically and routinely evaluate and discern from the information gained from published studies, and stakeholder interactions to develop key insights that deepen our understanding of the market's needs and opinions of external stakeholders and therefore contribute to the enhancement of Sanofi's scientific messages, plans, strategy, systems, and product development.
· Maintain awareness of and assesses emerging evidence in the disease area to educate and enhance discussions with key stakeholders.
Collaborates effectively with internal stakeholders.
· Distribute relevant scientific and medical information and key external insights to internal stakeholders when requested.
· Collaborate, as directed, with Commercial Operations, Business Development, Regulatory, etc. to facilitate diligence reviews, medical and safety evaluation, product positioning, lifecycle evidence planning, and compliance needs.
· Contribute to the creation of material for internal and external stakeholders where applicable, following internal Sanofi policies, and Federal and National Policies as applicable.
Supports evidence-generation activities by aiding in data acquisition and identifying opportunities for further data collection clinical or investigator-led.
· Monitors disease epidemiology and provides support, including protocol development, when needed on various types of studies: long-term surveillance, compliance, pharmacovigilance, and effectiveness studies.
· Identifies data collection opportunities during stakeholder interactions and reports these using approved processes.
· Maintains awareness of clinical trial activity within the territory and suggests clinical trial sites as requested.
· Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator-sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions through appropriate internal processes.
Context of the job/major challenges:
· Able to operate independently (with minimal supervision) and navigate complex regulatory environments in person and via digital channels from remote (non-office based) environment.
· Possible substantial travel: nationally and internationally.
· Effectively mediate KOL's complex and controversial opinions vs; corporate policy decisions ensuring KOL relationships/medical strategy are not negatively impacted.
· Ensures regulatory boundaries re non-promotional activities are respected vis-à-vis commercial partners.
Scope of Role / Outputs:
· Manage a base of ca. XX [insert no of stakeholders] stakeholders; developing and maintaining stakeholder engagement tracking database.
· Plan day-to-day interactions, including discussion points in accordance with the Medical Affairs strategy, establishing a frequency of interactions per stakeholder per year to ensure that objectives are met.
· Accountability for [add country/area name] level with reporting mainly to Medical Affairs.
· Executes on defined KOL territory strategy that is targeted to address diverse stakeholder needs (payers, patients, KOLs, HCP, etc.) and is aligned with company objectives.
· Develops relevant territory engagement plans in line with the medical strategy and supports the team's medical plan execution.
· Uses approved scientific data during KOL interactions to advance the understanding of the therapeutic area.
· Advanced degree in a technical, scientific or medical field (MD, Ph.D., Pharm D,).
· Valid driver's license with a clean driving record and ability to pass a complete background check.
· Driving a company car in a safe manner to daily meetings and appointments is required.
· Responsible for operating the motor vehicle using safe driving practices, knowledge of and compliance with all company policies, and obeying all traffic laws.
· Previous pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
· Clear understanding of the medical practice, clinical decision making and healthcare systems related to patient care.
· Ability to interpret key scientific data and translate this information to meet educational and research needs.
· Demonstrated ability to address educational and research needs through the delivery of cutting edge scientific/evidenced-based data.
· Understand the design and execution of research studies.
· Exemplary communication and presentation skills.
· Experience in working on multi-disciplinary teams and managing a significant volume of projects.
· Actively listens to others and is adept at confidently stating expert opinion while respecting the positions of others - can exert diplomacy while standing firm on a position.
· Utilizes effective, professional communications to cultivate strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues, flexible in their own approach to people and situations.
· Skilfully plans, prioritizes, and executes multiple responsibilities and projects.
· Demonstrates effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), steps forward to handle challenges within the scope of authority.
· Deep understanding and knowledge of local regulations and codes of practice for the pharmaceutical industry, in particular as they apply to the non-promotional activities of this role .
· Demonstrates scientific expertise - stays abreast of data, treatment trends, and new information in the profession and ability to articulate therapeutic knowledge and translate expert feedback into appropriate insights.
· Knowledge of relevant healthcare systems, the evolving medical landscape, regulatory and payer environment, public health and industry trends.
· Proficiency in digital tools.
· Working knowledge of English as a second language.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sanofi Glassdoor: #GD-SA
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.