Amazon is seeking an Economist to play a key role in an emerging business in transportation. In this role, the Economist will design, evangelize, and implement state-of-the-art solutions for problems in revenue and cost management as well as incentives and penalties within Amazon Logistics. The role is based in Seattle, WA.
The Economist will conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results. The Economist will work closely with engineers, scientists, research, product managers and other economists to build econometric models, research new algorithms, and find new ways to understand pricing and cost dynamics.
· Be a thought leader: Conceptualize and lead global research initiatives, understand drivers, impacts, and key influences on cost and pricing dynamics.
· Innovate and drive actions to optimize shipper behaviors to improve profitability, growth, and Customer experience.
· Bring deep knowledge of quantitative modelling (ML, optimization, causal modeling) to build econometric models, prototype, and guide the technical approach of production scalable implementations in partnership with technical teams.
· Explain complex technical approaches to a variety of stakeholders, including senior leadership, development teams and cross-functional experts.
· Develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the organization.
A successful candidate will have strong casual and predictive modelling capabilities, effective verbal/written communication skills, and have a passion for using data to drive business decisions. We are looking for someone that is a self-starter, someone that attacks complex business questions with data and curiosity, and a person that dives below the surface to identify the root cause and "so what" rather than just superficial trends. We are looking for an individual that thrives by providing data-driven decision support and business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you know how to deliver, and you are deeply quantitative, highly innovative, and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
Ideal candidate profile
· PhD in Economics
· 2+ years of experience in a postdoctoral position, consulting, government or academic research
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data
· Effective verbal and written communications skills