A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Position Title: Utilities Technician
Reports To: Reliability Manager
Location: Aurora, NE (NEA)
Purpose of Role
The role of the Utilities Technician is to provide leadership on the production floor to execute preventative maintenance and technical support for delivering the team’s operational targets such as safety, quality and efficiency results. This role must proactively identify and action risks to safety, food safety, quality and production losses. Utilities technician must also lead and coach root cause problem solving with the other technicians on their team, effectively communicate priorities and escalate issues within their area and across shifts. Added responsibility to operate and maintain the plant utilities systems; compressed air, steam, natural gas, water, and wastewater. Water and Wastewater require state licenses.
Utility Technicians have thorough understanding and mastery of Manufacturing Reliability Fundamentals such as Mars Supply Excellence (MSE) and the Factory Mars Operating System (FMOS). This role will support the development and execution of Clean, Inspect, Lubricate (CIL), Center Line (CL) and Defect Management for their assigned area. They are responsible for maintaining standard running conditions of operating equipment in their area plus the repair or replacement of failed components, the ability to troubleshoot unknown equipment issues and recommend adjustments to center line operational output of equipment.
· Ability to operate and maintain a wastewater pretreatment facility, gas fired steam boilers, air compressors, and ability to conduct analytical tests on water samples
· Complete daily and weekly responsibilities to ensure the plant utility systems are operating in high standards to support the plant production
· Lead and support the culture development of Mars, 5 Principles and Engagement
· Coach Mars safety standards, tools and techniques
· Identify, evaluate and eliminate safety risks using behavior based safety program and near miss reporting
· Perform mechanical and electrical preventative maintenance on various manufacturing equipment and electrical panels
· Complete work orders as assigned and proactively look at work orders to complete as time permits
· Document preventative maintenance and work orders using SAP Plant Maintenance
· Troubleshoot and repair routine electrical (such as motor starters, switches and sensors using multi-meters and amp probes) and mechanical (hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical drive systems at the component level) problems on all plant equipment
· Conduct equipment breakdown analysis
· Register parts and create/update PMs in to improve the maintenance system
· Participate and sometimes lead Focused Improvement Teams to eliminate losses within functional area
· Develop/train technicians to: grow functional/technical skills, learn troubleshooting and repair skills to operate equipment more efficiently, understand Autonomous Maintenance activities
· Perform technical tasks such as fabrication, welding, machinist skills
· Drive delivery at or above target of following metrics: TRS, production reliability, stops reduction, mean time between failure, defects found and fixed, work order/PM completion
· Support storeroom process and suggest improvements on how to manage spare parts
· Uses IWS tools to achieve zero losses, ensure follow up to outages and root cause identification
· Provide technical support to eliminate line top losses and team’s equipment ownership improvements
· Spend 90% of time on production floor working on PMs and repairs to achieve site results
Key Functional Skills & Knowledge
· Understand and adhere to LOTO, Confined Space, and all other plant safety/GMP requirements
· Possess a fundamental understanding of electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical drawings/schematics
· Advanced mechanical skills, metal working, plumbing, pneumatics, and steam fitting
· Intermediate electrical power and controls, understanding of PLCs
· Conduct hot work permit work as necessary to include grinding and welding
· Ability to problem solve in area of operation utilizing IWS tools (Unified Problem Solving)
· Possesses technical mastery; Advanced technical troubleshooting skills in functional area
· Subject Matter Expert for Autonomous Maintenance Step 4 component
· Basic computer skills in AutoCad, Proficy, Excel, Word, Outlook, LEDS, SAP, Red Prairie, and Nexus
· Effective written and verbal communication skills
· Self-development: Demonstrated to learn & upgrade job related and leadership skills
· Ability to use part diagram and list to order parts
· Ability to work with vendor and suppliers, and interact with state officials
· Previous HVAR/R experience or technical education
· High school diploma or GED
· Ability to convey communications clearly and concisely
· Able to deal with ambiguity effectively
· Successful completion of a drug and background screen
· Ability to work under stressful conditions such as heat, cold, heights, and/or confined spaces
· Have full mobility with the ability to climb ladders and stairs
· Ability to lift 50 lbs.
· EPA Section 608 Certification to handle Freon
· Relevant HVAC/R licensing per local code
· Previous maintenance/TR experience
· Technical degree in HVAC/R field
· Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Grade 4 Water Operator License
· Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Grade 6 Water Operator License
· Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality – Class 2 Wastewater Operator License
· 3 to 5 years of experience in a TPM/technical, manufacturing environment
· Demonstrated experience working in quality and safety.
· Functional knowledge and understanding of HACCP concepts
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Grand Island
Job Segment: Technician, Hydraulics, ERP, Electrical, SAP, Technology, Engineering