At Westin, we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by providing a refreshing environment, thoughtful amenities, and revitalizing programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests' well-being, and we're energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help guests be at their best, and they appreciate our supportive attitude, anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If you're someone who has is positive, adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the well-being of others around you, we invite you to discover how at Westin, together we can rise.
Ideal candidate profile
Functions as the strategic business leader of the property's Hotel Operations with a strong Resort Experience is a plus. Areas of responsibility is Food & Beverage Operations (including Restaurant/Bars, Room Service, Banquets/Catering) and also include Rooms Operations, Spa and Recreation/Health Club,. Position works with direct reports (department heads) to develop and implement departmental strategies and ensures implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensures Hotel Operations meet the brand's standards, targets customer needs, ensures employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes the financial performance of the department and developing positive owner relations. Develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand's target customer and employees and provides a return on investment.
Education and Experience
· 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, spa, recreation, management operations, or related professional area.
· 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the guest services, front desk, housekeeping, spa, recreation, management operations, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
· Demonstrates and communicates key drivers of guest satisfaction for the brand's target customer.
· Analyzes service issues and identifies trends.
· Makes and executes the necessary decisions to keep property moving forward toward achievement of goals.
· Works with hotel management team to develop an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
Managing Revenue Goals
· Monitors hotel operations sales performance against budget.
· Reviews reports and financial statements to determine hotel operations performance against budget.
· Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
· Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holding team accountable for results.
Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage Goals
· Develops and implements guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
· Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
· Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
· Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of food and beverage equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
· Works with food and beverage leadership team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department's financial performance.
· Establishes challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operational performance, service excellence and desired leadership behaviors.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
· Develops and manages Food and Beverage budget.
· Monitors the department's actual and projected sales to verify revenue goals are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
· Verifies that cash control and liquor control policies are in place in food & beverage areas and followed by all related employees.
· Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
Ensuring Food and Beverage Standards and Responsibilities are Met
· Provides direction for menu development.
· Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to verify that standards are met.
· Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
· Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
· Verifies compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
· Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
· Verifies that employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
· Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
· Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
Leading Food and Beverage Team
· Leads kitchen management team and verifies proper supervision and coordination activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
· Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
· Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
· Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
· Develops means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
· Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
· Verifies that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., pre-meal briefings, staff meetings, food and beverage team).
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire food & beverage team by soliciting employee feedback, utilizing the "open door" policy and reviewing employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
· Develops a food and beverage operating strategy that is aligned with the brand's business strategy and leads its execution.
· Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
· Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food and beverage products to meet or exceed customer expectations, generate increased revenue and verifies a competitive position in the market.
Leading Other Operations and Department Teams
· Champions the brand's service vision for product and service delivery and ensures alignment amongst the hotel leadership teams.
· Develops systems to enable employees to understand guest satisfaction results.
· Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
Managing the Guest Experience
· Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
· Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
· Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
· Creates an atmosphere in all Rooms and Food and Beverage areas that meets or exceeds guest expectations.
Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
· Facilitates the development of creative solutions to overcome obstacles and ensures implementation to continually improve guest satisfaction results.
· Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
· Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in Operations (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
· Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
· Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
· Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
· Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an “open door policy” and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
· Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
· Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
· Champions change, ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibiting behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good first impression and representing the company in alignment with its values.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; obtaining and comparing information from different sources to draw conclusions, develop and evaluate alternatives and solutions, solve problems, and choose a course of action.
· Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods. Strong public presentation skills.
· Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizing and arranging work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and going beyond what is required
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacting with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with company values.
· Fostering Inclusion - Supporting employees with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Talent Management - Providing guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
· Organizational Capability - Evaluating and adapting the structure of organizational units, jobs, and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeking and making the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
· Detail Orientation - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of completed work are correct and of high quality.
· General Property Operations - Knowledge of the operating principles and practices of all brand/property-specific functions to support successful operations of the overall property (e.g., Engineering/Maintenance, Event Management, Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Legal/Contracting, Food and Beverage, Guest Services/Front Desk, Sales & Marketing, Security/Loss Prevention, Retail/Gift Shops, Spa, and Recreation/Health Club).
· Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information (e.g., employee engagement, guest satisfaction, and property financial performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Applied Business Knowledge - Evaluates market conditions, organizational objectives, and important aspects of the business to accurately diagnose market opportunities and threats; anticipates opportunities and threats, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
· Management of Capital Resources - Determines the appropriate allocation of money used to accomplish work goals, and submits expenses according to guidelines; appropriately utilizes and maintains equipment, facilities, and materials needed to perform work activities.
· Administration and Management - Understands and applies the business and management information involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
· Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
· Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
· Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
· Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
· Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.