Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of €66.6 billion in 2016. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units. We deliver services in supply and logistics management, asset management, risk management, market access management, while contributing to the market understanding, design and efficiency and developing market solutions to accelerate the energy transition.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 5 trading platforms and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs 1,300 people around the world.
GEM Legal is looking for a commercial lawyer to support mainly its power development activities. He/she will deal with a wide range of client types, while also working with related departments and colleagues within GEM to structure transactions and manage legal and reputational risks. The position would be in GEM's offices in Paris or Brussels.
· Develop and execute comprehensive legal strategies and solutions to lawfully facilitate GEM's commercial objectives while mitigating associated legal risk
· Advise on, draft, review, negotiate f.i.:
· Energy commodity supply contracts
· Renewable power purchase agreements (wind, solar,…)
· Bespoke energy and risk management services contracts
· Security packages or limited-recourse long-term commodity offtake structures
· Master Agreements (i.e. EFET, ISDA) on various commodities and their derivatives (i.e. power, gas, CO2, guarantees of origin)
· Pre-transactional and transaction documents, e.g., pitch documents, marketing documents, confidentiality agreements, term sheets, etc.
· Credit management documentation (e.g. netting agreements, credit support annexes, letters of credit and guarantees) and any ancillary agreements
· Conduct regulatory and other due diligence, review and advise on credit support, legal opinions and other conditions precedent relevant for GEM's contracts and services
· Liaise with and draft legal notes for departments across GEM
· Address legal and regulatory developments relating to energy commodities, provide training on topical issues to GEM colleagues and attend industry forums and round-tables
· Provide legal support in relation to event driven issues such as events of default, covenant breaches, waivers, trustee, inter-creditor issues, acceleration, and enforcement, reservation of rights while considering and advising on the impact on the company's financial position
· Develop practice notes and assist with policy and guidelines formulation
· Advise on and execute the implementation of the reforms of commercial, financial or energy market regulation in GEM's products and services
· Supervise external counsel for his/her individual matters
Courbevoie, ENGIE T1
Education and professional background:
· a law degree with a strong academic record. Being common law qualified or having an LLM from a US or UK university is a plus
· a qualified lawyer with a strong experience of a minimum of 5 years in a law firm, company or relevant institution
· excellent technical and commercial skills
· an intellectual curiosity and hunger to learn
· demonstrating commercial understanding, good judgment on legal risk decisions and on knowing when to escalate
· being familiar with, and demonstrate responsibility for a range of energy commodity transactions
· demonstrating exposure to innovative deals and structuring
· ability to articulate governance and risk policies
· transaction management skills
· strong interpersonal and communication skills
· confident, able and quick to learn
· working effectively as part of a team
· producing results in the face of adversity
· strong drafting skills in English and French. Another European language is a plus
· Posting Date: May 13, 2020