* Do you like working with Linux Systems ? How about dozens of them? How about hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands?
* Do you want to work on something that has an immediate impact to your customers and the business?
* Do you want to work on something that has direct and indirect impact on millions of people all over the globe?
* Do you want to work on projects that will allow you to keep up to date with technology?
* Do you thrive in an environment where there is always something to design, develop, investigate or automate?
Amazon Web Services is looking for Systems Engineer to join our CloudFront Systems Engineering team.
Our projects include massively scalable distributed systems that provide inexpensive, reliable, global distribution.
This is an opportunity to join a world class team that is at the forefront of creating the next major computing platform. As a member of this AWS team you will help create the environment that will set the pattern for a generation to come. You should be somebody who enjoys working on solving problems, is customer-centric, and feels strongly not only about operations but also about running systems and software in the real world. You must enjoy a close-knit team environment of shared responsibility.
The ideal candidate will have strong Linux/Unix design, networking, implementation, troubleshooting and engineering experience. The candidate should also be able to demonstrate strong coding/scripting skills.
In the first six to twelve months on the job you'll tackle these exciting challenges:
· Through participation in all phases of the development of a large distributed system, provide hardware, manageability, operability and performance perspectives on all aspects of CloudFront, Route 53 and their dependencies
· Define and/or refine hardware requirements and selected designs, balancing raw up-front dollar cost with operability and TCO, from the data center infrastructure up specify and participate in the development and delivery of operability-related features such as system health monitoring, diagnostics, repair, and other self-healing automation
· Develop or further existing automation and system management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency
· Adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic
· Participate in the design and execution of production acceptance tests and new hardware evaluations
· Maintain fleet inventory management, including producing, maintaining, and evolving capacity plans for various components.
· Monitor the health of the fleet, automating system health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed
· Perform various system maintenance tasks (your hands get dirty here!), including configuration of new edge locations down to the machine level
· Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties with professionalism
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Ideal candidate profile
· BS Computer Science or other technical degree or related experience
· 3+ years experience in 24x7 online internet computing environments
· 1+ years experience scripting in some of the common languages used by System Engineers (perl, , shell, , other?)
· 3+ years of solid *NIX system engineering experience