We make it easy for customers to help protect their web applications from attacks by allowing them to configure rules that allow, block, or monitor (count) web requests based on conditions that they define. We also generate detection logic that helps automatically protect customers from bad actors or automated traffic to their applications. By supporting associations with CloudFront, Application Load Balancer, and API Gateway customers can protect their applications and resources whether all in on the cloud, maintaining on premise data centers, or using a hybrid cloud approach.
We build a highly available, low latency distributed system that allows customers to propagate changes worldwide in minutes to respond to active attacks in real-time. We’re fully integrated with several others AWS Services to give customers the insight and control they need. We give customers the visibility they need to see which requests were blocked, allowed, or counted and what rule was matched on a given request. Customers can store their full WAF logs for compliance and auditing as well as use them for debugging and additional forensics. Using CloudFormation customers can automate the deployment of their WAF on the AWS cloud.
As a SysDE on the AWS WAF team, you will play a lead role and influence how we design, develop, build, deploy and support AWS WAF. You will get a chance to dive deep into recurring problems of scale and build solutions that will solve the scaling problems before they occur. You will be challenged to think about business opportunities and costs saved on operating production fleets. You will use data analysis to drive automations, work on the latest Amazon/AWS tools to plan, build dashboards and other projects that contribute to the safety and ease of operating AWS WAF in production. This is a hybrid operations/developer role with an emphasis on OE with solid coding skills.
We own the direct customer experience as well as the per request processing of rules for CloudFront, API Gateway, and ALB. Not only do we build an AWS security service, but we’re a customer of AWS using other AWS services to provide the solutions to our customers that scale and seamlessly integrate with their existing workflows. You will influence AWS WAF engineers building large scale features and functionality and will participate in architectural reviews. You will be considered a tech SME for everything related to scale and running AWS WAF in production efficiently.
· Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex, large-scale systems
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers
· Hands-on experience of working with AWS products to deliver software systems
· Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
· 3+ years of experience building production software applications
· 3+ years Linux development experience
· 1+ years of software development experience