We currently need an experienced Safety Engineer to join the EU Safety Launch and Engineering team. The individual will play a critical role to ensure high standards of safety are built into new systems and processes across new and legacy EU Fulfillment Centre, Sort Center and Delivery Center.
The successful candidate will validate vendor proposed technical safety solutions and work in partnership with internal engineering and reliability maintenance teams to ensure right first time, legally compliant safety standards for equipment.
The role will require detailed technical knowledge of EU machinery safety regulations to meet all EU country requirements. Knowledge of robotics and automated conveyor systems will also be essential to support the procurement and implementation of systems across the EU network. Emphasis will be on technical knowledge and the ability to engage with cross functional teams, transforming this knowledge into sound, compliant processes for the EU network.
Preferably Luxembourg based but will consider applicants for any EU country.
You will be managing a wide range of projects being heavily involved in the EU Capital Approval Review process, including liaison with other critical support functions such as Engineering, Reliability and Maintenance Engineering, Procurement, and New Build/Real Estate teams in order to effectively deliver the required right first time machinery and systems safety standards. This is an important central safety role and will report directly to the EU Safety Launch and Engineering Manager.
The extent of your duties will include:
- Define new and update existing technical standards for machinery safety and process controls working closely with EU and North American internal experts
- Provide functional working links with other critical functional teams including; Engineering, Reliability and Maintenance Engineering, Procurement, New Build Safety and Real Estate teams.
- Support capital procurement processes as well as building design, specification and launch processes to ensure ‘right first time' safety outcomes
- Support the Safety Launch and Engineering Manager in delivery of central Health and Safety pro-active objectives
- Provide expert input to change projects, build outs and development projects and act as a technical machinery expert for the EU Health and Safety team
- Generate regular technical updates for the Safety Launch and Engineering team
- Provide monthly reports on upcoming projects and current in process schemes with clear analytical measures of status and risk.
- Support business change through effective influencing of change management processes within EU operations.
- Support new building launches by performing suitable and sufficient risk assessments of all relevant new machinery and equipment.
- instruct and train company personnel on safety policies, assisting the teams in incorporating our safety standards at their respective sites.
Ideal candidate profile
The successful candidate will be or have:
- Engineering degree with 4+ years' direct experience
- Robotics and Material Handling Equipment (MHE) knowledge
- In-depth understanding in the EU Machine Directive 2006/42/EC and the its relevant harmonized standards
- Comprehension and practical application of risk assessments
- Demonstrable record of driving machinery safety standards across and large multi-site business
- Experience interacting with cross functional teams
- Flexible approach to work, able to manage own priorities, workload and European travel
- Credibility and be able to effectively engage and influence other functional leaders and their teams, to build buy-in to EU Health and Safety strategies and change processes
- Used to operating at all levels of the organization from warehouse floor to senior management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and other computer-based tools to support system engineering and briefing/proposal development activities
- Qualified to NEBOSH Diploma level or equivalent with extensive health and safety management experience, preferably gained in a low margin, high volume environment with warehousing and logistics beneficial.
- Chartered Member of IOSH (CMIOSH) or equivalent
Lean, 5S, Kaizen experience