Economists at Amazon will be expected to work directly with our Chief Economists and senior management on key business problems faced in retail, international retail, cloud computing, third party merchants, search, Kindle, streaming video, and operations. Amazon economists will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. You will build econometric models, using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company.
This Economist role is part of the Selling Partner Fees team that owns the end-to-end fees experience for two million active third party sellers. We own the fee strategy, fee seller experience, fee accuracy and integrity, fee science and analytics, and we provide scalable technology to monetize all services available to third-party sellers.
We are looking for a motivated Economist to lead the development of models to enhance our pricing calculation for services used by third party sellers. In this role, you will setup experiments and apply causal modeling techniques to understand how third party sellers react to changes in fees and policies across North America, South America, Europe, Middle East, and Asia. You will use your findings to influence the development of new products and pricing strategies impacting millions of sellers using the Amazon marketplace. The ideal candidate will have experience with large scale marketplace behavior modeling, outstanding technical abilities, and strong business acumen. He/she will be comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. The position also requires working closely with other Economists, Data Scientists, Strategy Analysts, Product Managers, and Software Developers.
· Design and develop complex models to assess the causal impact of fees on FBA Seller's behavior.
· Design and conduct experiments to validate theories and improve understanding of Amazon's third party marketplace ecosystem.
· Collaborate with product managers, data scientists and software developers to incorporate models into production processes and influence senior leaders.
· Refine fee structures to improve FBA benefits for customers and sellers.
· Serve as subject matter expert for seller economics related issues within the Amazon marketplace.
Ideal candidate profile
· Ph.D. in Economics or related Finance field.
· 2 - 4 years of experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.