Every day across the world we develop the ideas, the services and the products that make life easier for tens of millions of customers, and make good things happen faster. From providing Earth's Biggest Selection of products to developing ground breaking software and devices that change entire industries. Amazon is a place of invention and progressive thinking.
At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world and we distribute millions of products each year to our loyal customers.
Amazon WW Engineering Advanced Technologies located in Seattle WA. Is developing the next generation of Amazon Fulfillment mechatronic solutions in: robotics, autonomous vehicles, auto identification, packaging automation and process engineering. If you are inspired by invention, advanced system integration, solving complex problems and working with highly talented teams then Amazon Advanced Technologies might be a great fit.
Amazon WW Engineering Advanced Technologies is seeking a Mechanical Engineer. In this role you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to install, test, and analyze innovative products. Working with research scientists you will have a hands-on role exploring prototype and test solutions for new innovations that will deliver an exceptional user experiences. You will continually find new and better ways to solve complex problems within constrained environments. You will demonstrate cross-functional expertise to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining the approaches and solutions being developed by the entire team. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge and in-depth experience developing mechanical, electrical and computer systems, with particular expertise in systems integration; the desire to learn from new challenges and problem solving; great communication skills; and the ability to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. You must have extensive experience in the various stages of the product creation cycle, from coarse prototypes that enable rapid exploration through the iterative refinement of successful designs in the production environment. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work, and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments.
· Serve as the technical test, integration, and implementation lead for major subsystems being installed in production facilities for the first time.
· Document issues and investigate possible root causes for presentation to the design team
· Iteratively improve field products as either interim or long term mitigation to issues uncovered.
· Create detailed product documentation, including that required for operations and mainteance
· Perform field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
· Manage schedules and milestones
· Apply your technical expertise to practical problem solving
· Identify and suggest new components that meet the required specifications and schedule.
· Perform hands-on bring-up, testing and troubleshooting.
· Function as a subject matter expert on a variety of technologies by providing up-to-date, accurate information to colleagues and management.
· Travel 10%
This is a brand new Amazon project in and this is your chance to get in on the ground floor of a game-changing initiative. While you'll be able to use existing Amazon systems when possible, you'll be working on hard challenging problems that most likely have no off-the-shelf solutions within Amazon, and most likely haven't been solved anywhere else in the world to the requirements we need.
You should be comfortable building prototypes, challenging assumptions, performing design and architectural reviews, and thinking of creative ways to tackle problems. You'll work on a team and build systems from the ground-up to keep the operational load negligible!
As an HDE II, you are a contributor to your team and to your product.
· You are right, a lot. You own a complex project and you work very efficiently and routinely deliver the right things, eventually saving costs for the company in the products we build or processes we follow without compromising quality.
· Your technical knowledge is broad and/or deep, typically ranging from concept through to the fabrication of a system including critical systems for a consumer electronic product. Your focus is not restricted to your primary discipline but spans multiple domains. You have deep hands-on expertise with many disparate technologies.
· You are able to own a complex project and you lead a cross-functional team with a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build, and you consistently think in terms of architecture. You are able to architecture systems that meet product requirements and you communicate your ideas effectively to others in your division.
· You are able to analyze issues, even if they are not in your primary domain. You can identify and work closely with the appropriate domain experts to resolve them.
· Other engineers in your department regard you as an expert in one or more technical areas.
· You show good judgement making technical trade-offs between your group's short term and long term business needs, and the needs of the company as a whole.
· You drive technology development, working with vendors and directing their roadmap decisions.
· In difficult situations, such as the presence of discordant views or incomplete data, you are able to constructively work to find a proper course of action and build consensus on a path forward.
· You have good knowledge of the work done by other teams and proactively help others.
· You influence your team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to the team's priorities and approach. You make a significant contribution to team planning.
· Your work and your approach to work are exemplary – you drive best practices and set standards for your team.
· You actively mentor others, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems, and their ability to get things done.
· Your engineering and best practices knowledge is sought out by others.
· You participate in the hiring process for HDE I-II.
· You build multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped in the hyper-competitive consumer electronics marketplace, or have in some way benefited your org.
· You influence and improve design decisions and hardware engineering best practices across the team(s) you work with.
· You proactively contribute to knowledge-sharing across the developer community.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Robotics or other related engineering discipline
· 5+ years' experience in the consumer electronics, robotics, industrial production, or other mechatronics industry as a hardware or development test engineer
· Hands-on experience with system development and product integration
· Familiar with test equipment and methods.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Willing and able to travel