Airbus Defence and Space GmbH
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Job Titel: EDRS operation System Engineer (d/m/f)
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe’s number one Defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global Defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Description of the Job
EDRS (European Data Relay System) is a satellite based high data rate communication system for relaying Earth Observation data received from Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites via geostationary satellites directly to the ground for further distribution.
EDRS is a PPP program between ESA and Airbus. The overall system consists of the space segment (two geostationary satellites) and the ground segment. The first GEO satellite EDRS-A has been launched January 2016 and the second GEO satellite is planned for third quarter 2018.
Airbus CIS is the prime contractor and responsible for the management and implementation of the programme and the subsequent provision of the data relay service to ESA and other customers over a period of minimum 15 years.
The operation of the EDRS system and the corresponding provision of the data relay service will be done through a ground segment consisting of
· primary and backup mission operation centre (MOC)
· primary and backup satellite control centre (SCC)
· payload control centre (DPCC)
· four ground stations
· communication network
The primary mission operation center is located at Airbus Ottobrunn.
The holder of this position will support the development of the Mission Operation Centre in the area of validation and operations preparation. The task includes test procedure and operation procedure implementation and verification & validation as well as hand-over to the operations team. The holder of the position will be located at Ottobrunn and reports to the head of the engineering team. Regular shift work is not required with exception In-orbit-Test support. The detailed task includes
· Specification of test and mission operation procedures based on inputs from developer teams
· Test execution
· Mission operation execution during In-Orbit-Testing
· Support of operational readiness review
· Support to LEOP and IOT activities
· Support to user commissioning and final acceptance
· Technical assessment of non-conformances, discrepancies and waivers
Support of the EDRS quality management process
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
· Educated to a Master's degree in Space Systems, Electrical or other related Engineering or equivalent
· Profound knowledge of space system operations
· Experience with Unix and Windows based operating systems
· Ability to document the own work according to the standards of ESA programs
· Ability to operate in a multi-national team Organization
· Ability to work autonomously, and show a proactive behavior and cooperation in a team
· Good communication and interpersonal skills
· Experience with ESA and ESA standards (e.g. ECSS standards) as well as industry standards
· Language skills: English Negotiation level, a good level of German language is advantageous
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.