Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott Point of Care is a worldwide leader in providing with-patient care solutions that are intuitive, reliable, and cost-effective for our customers. By delivering lab-quality results in minutes, our i-STAT® System family of with-patient products and services fosters a collaborative, patient-centred environment while driving operational performance. We are headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey, with more than 1,500 global employees and a presence in 84 countries. Our 46,500 square metre, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, Abbott Pointe, is located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Status: Full Time/Temporary (4 month contract)
We're searching for a highly-motivated chemistry, biochemistry or chemical engineering student, preferably with a background in chemical analysis or medical diagnostics, to join the Development team at Abbott Point of Care Canada. The successful candidate will be working in the fast-paced R&D Development group to help with verification and validation activities, including execution and logistics, within a quality controlled environment for innovative point of care diagnostic test cartridges based on microfluidics as part of the i-STAT System.
Required Skills and Education:
- Full-time registration at time of application in an undergraduate BSc / BASc degree program of studies in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemical Engineering: recently graduated or student having completed second or third year studies
- Hands-on laboratory work experience preferred
- Experienced in chemistry and/or biochemistry laboratory
- Innovation, ingenuity, demonstrated learning ability
- Experience in research environment—designing, testing, evaluation, documentation
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Minimum GPA of B+ or equivalence
- Strong verbal and written communication/documentation skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Knowledge, experience with image capture and processing is an asset
- Knowledge, experience performing complex data analysis using Excel, JMP, MatLab, etc., is highly desirable
- Knowledge of electrochemical sensors and detection is an asset. Background in fluid mechanics or microfluidics an asset
Abbott Canada is committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without discrimination based on factors such as race, sex, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion, disability, age, citizenship, family or marital status, political beliefs, sexual preference or other factors included in human rights legislation.
Our diversity goals for recruitment, hiring, and retention are embedded in our corporate goals, and our diversity initiatives are supported by the highest level of the organization.
We strongly believe that a diverse workforce fosters more creative and innovative thinking throughout the organization. Creating an inclusive environment, where everyone is respected and valued, enables us to leverage our diversity as a business driver and strengthens our position as a global leader.
Abbott strives to promote and maintain an inclusive, high-performing culture that allows all employees to reach their full potential and contribute to Abbott's success.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/abbott-/, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
DIVISION:APOC Point of Care
LOCATION:Canada > Ottawa : 185 Corkstown Road
WORK SHIFT:M-F (Canada)
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)